Your Guide To Understanding Hair Loss Due To Radiotherapy
Radiotherapy works by destroying cancer cells in the area that’s being treated. Normal cells can also be damaged by radiotherapy, which may cause side effects. Hair thinning can be one of the side effects. Cancer cells cannot repair themselves after radiotherapy, but normal cells usually can.
When should you make an appointment to come in to us?
After it has been confirmed that you are going to experience hair loss due to radiotherapy, it is advisable to contact us as soon as possible for an appointment. Many experience hair loss or thinning a few days after your first treatment commences
Choosing your wig before hair loss starts is advisable for two reasons:
- We can see the style and colour of your hair, which will make it easier to find the appropriate wig that will match your original look. Some people like to be brave and change their style or colour to something that they could never achieve with their own hair. There are no rules!
- Hasty decisions regarding wig choice should never be made while undergoing treatment. Some clients may rush the process of choosing their wig only to realise they have made a rash decision and may be unhappy with their choice. If you are unable to get in before hair loss occurs, don’t worry. Just bring a recent photograph of yourself. This will give me a good idea of your hair colour and style.
An appointment is necessary. The consultation takes 1-hour in our private, calm and comfortable surroundings. This allows us to give all our clients the personal and individual attention that they deserve. We would recommend that you bring along either a friend or family member with you for some moral support and for that second opinion.
Our Holistic approach to hair loss
For many women, coping with hair loss due to radiotherapy treatment can be one of the most difficult challenges regarding cancer, but it does not have to be this way. For the past 30 years we believe the first step towards dealing with hair loss due to radiotherapy is to understand and become aware of what to expect and to understand the different stages of hair loss. This will enable you to take control of your hair loss and make the experience less traumatic.
We believe learning, coping and preparation techniques before the changes of hair loss occur will play a key role in helping clients not just to cope, but to rise above the changes to their self-image and self-esteem which can be posed by hair loss.
Our aim is to help and support you through all the different stages of hair loss.
When hair loss starts, what happens next?
The experience of hair loss varies from one person to the next. The information and tips that we gave you on your first visit will help you make positive decisions on how you approach your hair loss. An appointment is necessary.As soon as your experience hair loss or thinning, make an appointment to come in to us.
At this appointment, we will be demonstrating:
- How to put your wig on correctly
- How to style your wig
- How to wash your wig correctly using the correct products
- How to wear certain headwear
- Hints and tips on caring for your your scalp and products are required
- What to use for loss of eyebrows.
We offer to all our clients help and support throughout treatment and after their treatment.
If there are any problems, we are here!